Very positive tattoo story - Woman spends £12k to learn how to tattoo new NIPPLES on her best friend after she lost part of her breasts to cancer
A mother-of-four has given her best friend the present of a lifetime after her battle with breast cancer - a new pair of nipples. Rachel Kennedy, 34, from Cardiff, South Wales, was determined to help friend Andria Harris when she lost part of her breast to the disease. The hairdresser retrained as a cosmetic and paramedical tattooist so she could be the one to help her close pal reclaim her body
WHAT IS A NIPPLE TATTOO?
According to the NHS: a nipple tattoo is the implantation of small amounts of pigment (dye) into the skin to create the colour of the nipple and areola (the brown area around the nipple).
The aim of nipple-areola tattoo is to give a colour match for the reconstructed nipple-areola that is as realistic as possible.
It can be used as an alternative, or in addition to, nipple reconstruction using tissue, a procedure which uses surrounding skin at the site to recreate another nipple.
There are risks of a nipple tattoo, including:
Bleeding - as with any procedure that punctures the skin.
Infection - this can be treated with antibiotics.
Scarring of the area if the scab doesn't heal properly.
Allergy to the pigment and/or local anaesthetic (a patch test can be carried out).
Colour- the colour may not be a perfect match. Colour spreading from the original position. Fading of the colour over time. Uneven pigment colour over the areola.
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Did you know you can supplement the information on your listing? The local authority that rates your premises will provide us with the name and address of your business, the date on which the inspection was carried out and the rating awarded. We can also add your website address, contact email address and telephone number to the premises details if you wish. Send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add them to your listing.
Dartford Borough Council joins the Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme
We are delighted that Dartford BC in Kent has joined the scheme. We will be tweeting their newly rated premises on the Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme Twitter feed (@tattoohygiene) which raises the profile of the scheme and the participating local authorities and tattoo studios and beauty salons. Welcome @dartfordcouncil
Northampton Council shut down spare room tattooist
An illegal tattoo studio in a spare room has been closed down in Northampton and more than £2,000 worth of equipment seized by environmental health officers. The studio, in the Spencer area of Northampton, was not registered with the council.
The equipment was seized on Thursday last week (March 17) by Northampton Borough Council environmental health officers, who worked in tandem with Northamptonshire Police.
A council spokesperson said evidence is being considered for a potential prosecution.
The seizure was the first made by Northampton Borough Council under public health legislation to control the spread of disease.
The cabinet member with responsibility for environmental health, Councillor Alan Bottwood, said: Council officers carry out regular inspections of registered tattooists in order to maintain hygiene levels and public health.
We would urge anyone considering having a tattoo to check that their tattooist is registered in order to avoid serious infections caused by unhygienic practices.
From Northampton Chronicle and Echo
CIEH and TPIU comment on the failure of the Public Health (Wales) Bill
The BBC Wales web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35832490
The law would have created a mandatory licensing scheme for businesses and practitioners carrying out acupuncture, body piercing, electrolysis and tattooing.It would also have prohibited intimate and tongue piercing on those under 16 years old.
Rik Stevens, president of the Tattoo and Piecing Industry Union said it was a "great pity." "This has been stopped in its tracks and for no particular good reason - and not related to the workings of the Bill."
Julie Barratt, director of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health in Wales said she was "very disappointed" and said it would have made a big difference to public health over a wide area, from tattoo parlours to toilet provision. "A lot of really good work has gone into this Bill over a long time - and it's disappointing particularly that it's not been lost over the minutiae of the detail but over politics."
"The work has been done, a great deal of consensus has been found on much of it and my hope is whatever colour party is in power or if there is a coalition it will be brought back.
"We would have seen these regulations being implemented by next year but now there will be at least a delay or maybe they've gone for good."
Tattoo legislation for Wales fails at the last hurdle
The Public Health ( Wales) Bill failed to become law last night as the crucial vote was lost. All parties were agreed that the tattoo and skin piercing provisions were appropriate, but the Bill fell in consequence of other unrelated issues. Julie Barratt, Director CIEH Wales commented ' Its hugely disappointing that this Bill, which could have done a great deal to improve the health and wellbeing of people in Wales has failed to make it to the statute book. It does however underline the importance of the Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme as a way of raising standards and providing the public with information that they could not otherwise get.'